1．Please do not be ____ by his bad manners since he is merely trying to attract attention.
[A] disregarded [B] distorted
[C] irritated [D] intervened
2. Craig assured his boss that he would ____ all his energies in doing this new job.
[A] call forth [B] call at
[C] call on [D] call off
3. Too much ____ to X-rays can cause skin burns, cancer or other damage to the body.
[A] disclosure [B] exhibition
[C] contact [D] exposure
4. When confronted with such questions, my mind goes ____, and I can hardly remember my own date of birth.
[A] dim [B] blank
[C] faint [D] vain
5. It is well known that knowledge is the ____ condition for expansion of mind.
[A] incompatible [B] incredible
[C] indefinite [D] indispensable
6. Language, culture, and personality may be considered ____ of each other in thought, but they are inseparable in fact.
[A] indistinctly [B] separately
[C] irrelevantly [D] independently
7. Watching me pulling the calf awkwardly to the barn, the Irish milkmaid fought hard to ____ her laughter.
[A] hold back [B] hold on
[C] hold out [D] hold up
8. The manager gave one of the salesgirls an accusing look for her ____ attitude toward customers.
[A] impartial [B] mild
[C] hostile [D] opposing
9. I ____ with thanks the help of my colleagues in the preparation of this new column.
[A] express [B] confess
[C] verify [D] acknowledge
10. It is strictly ____ that access to confidential documents is denied to all but a few.
[A] secured [B] forbidden
[C] regulated [D] determined
11. The pollution question as well as several other issues is going to be discussed when the Congress is in ____ again next spring.
[A] assembly [B] session
[C] conference [D] convention
12. Christmas is a Christian holy day usually celebrated on December 25th ____ the birth of Jesus Christ.
[A] in accordance with [B] in terms of
[C] in favor of [D] in honor of
13. Since it is too late to change my mind now, I am ____ to carrying out the plan.
[A] obliged [B] committed
[C] engaged [D] resolved
14. It was a bold idea to build a power station in the deep valley, but it ____ as well as we had hoped.
[A] came off [B] went off
[C] brought out [D] make out
15. To survive in the intense trade competition between countries, we must ____ the qualities and varieties of products we make to the world-market demand.
[A] improve [B] enhance
[C] guarantee [D] gear
16. He left early on the ____ that he had a bad toothache and had to see the dentist.
[A] prescription [B] pretext
[C] knowledge [D] precondition
17. The new edition of the encyclopedia ____ many improvements, which is the result of the persistent effort of all the compilers.
[A] embedded [B] embodied
[C] enchanted [D] enclosed
18. The boys and girls ____ together round the camp fire telling stories and singing songs.
[A] reversed [B] clapped
[C] clustered [D] contracted
19. The new underground railway will ____ the journey to all parts of the city.
[A] consume [B] eliminate
[C] formulate [D] facilitate
20. The speaker attracted the audience at the very beginning of the lecture by giving a ____ description of his personal experience.
[A] global [B] gracious
[C] graphic [D] prescriptive
21. It is up to the government to ____ the rights of individual citizens.
[A] withdraw [B] withhold
[C] upgrade [D] uphold
22. The notice about the English evening ____ many students who have interest in English.
[A] impelled [B] intrigued
[C] provoked [D] induced
23. The leader went his own way in ____ of thepublic opinion, which aroused great anger among the people.
[A] defiance [B] reflection
[C] obedience [D] observation
24. Could you just give me a hand? Let’s ____ the car into motion; it got a flameout just now.
[A] shove [B] nudge
[C] prompt [D] poke
25. The river was ____ with waste from that factory. Some measures must be taken to stop its production.
[A] corrupted [B] consumed
[C] contaminated [D] infected
26. Poverty is not ____ in most cities although, perhaps because of the crowded conditions in certain areas, it is more visible there.
[A] rare [B] temporary
[C] prevalent [D] segmental
27. People who live in small towns often seem more friendly than those living in ____ populated areas.
[A] densely [B] intensely
[C] abundantly [D] highly
28. As a way of ____ the mails while they were away, the Johnsons asked the cleaning lady to send little printed slips asking the sendersto write again later.
[A] picking up [B] coping with
[C] passing out [D] getting across
29. Tom’s mother tried hard to persuade him to ____ from his intention to invest his savings in stock market.
[A] pull out [B] give up
[C] draw in [D] back down
30. An increasing proportion of our population, unable to live without advanced medical ____, well become progressively more reliant on expensive technology.
[A] interference [B] interruption
[C] intervention [D] interaction